The Mother Nature Net cites a study published in the Journal of Human Evolution which describes amazing discoveries in the Swabian caves in southern Germany. Two bone flutes which are dated between 40,000 and 45,000 years ago were discovered there. This is the earliest indication of artistic creativity and of the technological innovation in that era.
2,000 or 3,000 years after the flutes were made an extremely cold climatic phase started in Europe. It is not clear how it effected the people of those times.
It seems that the history of Music dates way back before the history we learn in schools. Maybe it’s time to learn the history of arts first. It will give the well known history of wars and conflicts another perspective.
- Cavemen’s musical instruments date back 40,000 years (MNN Mother Nature Network)
- World’s Oldest Instrument Discovered In Germany (inquisitr.com)
- Caveman Flute (weeklyworldnews.com)
- Earliest musical instruments in Europe 40,000 years ago (sciencedaily.com)
- Earliest music instruments found (refreshingnews99.blogspot.com)
- Ancient Flutes Push Back The Birth Of Music Date (lezgetreal.com)